[Public-list] thru hulls

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 04:02:55 PDT 2004

Dan,

The larger thru-hull fitting were 'real' thru-hull fittings. Only the 1/2"
ones were 'homemade' (engine intake; head intake; and galley intake). That
doesn't mean that you can forget about the larger 'real' ones. In time, they
will go bad too. For the small homemade ones, I have only seen one washer on
the outside of the hull. It was brazed to the pipe that they stuck through
the hull. When the washer corrodes away, you have nothing left holding the
pipe in place, except that it has been there for years.