[Public-list] Mast support beam

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 12:58:11 PDT 2004

Stephen

On the later boats (Peter's is #478) the beam is internal to the liner. It
is not a wood beam, rather an aluminum box beam that is part of the deck and
liner of the boat. It is much more difficult to repair and the mast base
sits on the aft edge of the beam rather that directly over it. Excessive
backstay tension will cause the deck to deflect behind the mast base. It
seems to go only so far, then stop. I have not seen a newesr (boat with a
liner) have so much deflection as to interfer with the doors below. If
someone has done a repair to the newer style boats, I would like to hear how
it was done.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505