[Public-list] Alberg 30 Quiz

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Nov 2 05:10:07 PST 2004

HI there -

The fractional rig (forestay lower on the mast  than the backstay) allows
the mast to be made flexible - that allows the sailor to bend it to flatten
the mainsail to control the energy it develops.  In heavy air it means that
you can carry more usable sail before having to reef.  The cost is a smaller
headsail though.

The lead ballast would have resulted in a lower centre of gravity that was
also slightly forward of where it is now.  Lead is expensive so the mass
production of the boats got iron.  The result of that would have been a
stiffer boat able to carry more sail in rising wind without healing so
much...and less squat in the stern as the wave sequence develops as speed
rises.

There is another Canadian boat called the Abbott 33 whose rig I have
daydreamed about fitting to my Alberg some day.  I wouldn't do it partly
because of the cost and partly because of the fact that Surprise would no
longer be an Alberg 30 if I did that; but it gives an idea of what might
have been.  It is taller but bendy - I'll bet the Alberg would be a rocket
with that in the air above it - but like I said, it would no longer be an
Alberg!

Gord