[Public-list] That brown goo from weeping blisters

Janet Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Sun Nov 28 08:28:48 PST 2004

I had the same thing in the main cabin, so you're not unique. I was told
it's deteriorating "bondo" (auto body filler) that the builder used to
fillet the sharp cabin angles.

At any rate, I tried a couple of things including aluminum engine paint to
reseal it without success. What finally worked was sanding and painting
with Kilz primer.  That was 7 or 8 years ago and it's still ok. I notice
the same thing starting in the forward cabin now, so one of my winter
projects will be to repeat  the process there.

As a separate issue, I get mildew breaking out in the cabin interior every
couple of years, which, again, I've been told is caused by a previous owner
painting the interior with latex over the original paint. It comes off
easily enough by wiping with a bleach/tide solution, but is a chore,
getting bleach in your face, etc. I'll probably continue doing that though
because I hate the thought of trying to sand the interior to bare
fiberglass and repainting. Painting over the latex probably wouldn't  work

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181