[Public-list] A30 Moving

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com
Thu Oct 14 07:15:43 PDT 2004

Bill,

I had my Alberg trucked by a guy named Bob Smizer from NJ to MD ($400 for
100miles).  My family has used his service for many years and he's always
done a great job, was very gentle with the boats, and can drive a truck like
nobody I've seen.

When we spoke in June, he mentioned he delivers boats to and from Florida
sometimes, and I believe when we were talking he said he charged a guy
something like $2500 to deliver to power boats on one of his trailers (don't
quote me on that price... I'm not sure about it).  I don't know what he'd
charge to take the A30 down to Alabama, but it's definitely worth giving him
a call.

When I had my boat stored in NJ, it was on a cradle that I owned, and after
delivery, I gave it to Bob since I have no place to store it now.  It might
be possible that you could hire him and he'd have the cradle empty to make
your trip that much easier.

I know that it might seem strange to hire a guy 100 north of here to come
down and move a boat south, but he may have another boat lined up to bring
down to Florida or Alabama, and if you are flexible with your time schedule,
it could save you a lot of money.

The only complaint I have with Bob is that since he has such a good
reputation, he does a lot of business, which leads to a lot of phone tag and
leaving messages.  But if you don't have a hard date to move the boat, I
think he'd be a good guy to call.

Here's his cell phone (his business line) (856) 456-4466

Just one more side note... Since the A30 is just over 8ft wide, and all of
the extra few inches is high above the ground, I don't believe you'll need
to worry about wide load fees and routes.  Also, the maximum height for
highways, from what I understand, is 14'.  The Alberg loaded in Bob's
trailer in my cradle with the mast lashed across the bow and stern pulpit
maxed out at about 12 feet.

-Brian Palmer
#288 L'Esprit