[Public-list] shaft bearing removal

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Fri Oct 22 06:03:26 PDT 2004

  Roger:

  The cutless bearing housing is threaded on to the inside of the pipe that
passes through the hull (shaft log).  The stuffing box is attached to the
outside of the shaft log inside.  If you turn the cutless bearing housing
counter clockwise it should turn out of the shaft log pipe.  Don't apply to
much force as you might loosen the pipe.

  If your intention is to replace the cutless bearing be sure to have your
supplier drill water lube holes in the new bearing where those two ears
stick out of the housing.  In my opinion it is worth having this job done by
a pro because most of us don't have the tools to properly remove the bearing
and if you crack the housing.......guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Peter Hay
  Rubicon