[Public-list] Roller furling - or hanked on?

John Bailey baileyje at voyager.net
Tue Oct 19 12:04:33 PDT 2004

John,

Originally, I had a roller furler on Zevulun.  Being a bit of a
traditionalist, and, having never raced, I went to hanked on and love
it.  The furler almost always worked correctly, but, the hanks always
work correctly.  I rigged a line and shock cord arrangement,before I
got a tiller pilot, to keep the boat steering by itself while I was up
front working the sail.  I mostly single hand. To me, it's a fine
feeling to be up front and seeing the hanks move up athe forestay the
way they've done for 100's of years.

John

> Michael Connolly wrote:
>
> "Personally, I don't like what roller furling does to the shape of
the
> headsail.  I most likely will go back to hanked on headsails when I
get the
> boat back in the water."
>
> Since I will be *o-l-l-d-d* and retired when I finally get my Alberg
30 (or
> 35, (and not terribly rich either: I have children!) I have been
wondering
> if I want roller furling on the jib of my yet-to-be-purchased boat.
I'll be