[Public-list] VHF antennas

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com
Mon Sep 27 12:57:14 PDT 2004

Roger,

You are better off with the standard 3db sailboat antenna on the top of
your mast.  As I understand, some of those long fiberglass powerboat
antennas offer up to 25db gain, however, they achieve this by focusing
the transmit and receive signal into a narrower beam top to bottom.
Since sailboats heel, a higher power focused antenna would focus the
beam into the sky and water the more the boat heels or in a rolling sea.
If you could somehow mount the high gain antenna on a gimbal, then it
might work, but if the gimbal rocked while you transmit or receive, the
signal sill fade in and out.

Your best bet it to install a standard 3db antenna as high as possible,
and be very careful when you run the cable not to kink or bend it in too
tight a radius.  Also, soldering the connections and sealing them from
the weather will help keep your antenna connection strong in future
years.

Here's a quick illustration to show what I mean:
http://www.digitalarsenal.com/antenna_theory.jpg

-Brian Palmer
#288 L'Esprit