[Public-list] Rudder cracked

Patty J Timbuktu5555 at webtv.net
Thu Dec 15 11:34:47 PST 2005

After hauling my boat and having it blocked on land I have discovered a
crack right down the middle of the rudder along the rudder post.  Is it
easily possible to take the rudder off without having to lift the boat
or must the boat be lifted?  Also, what is the best way to repair this
problem?  The yard wants to charge me $1,870 to do this and put me back
in the water.  I was wondering if I could simply sand the rudder out
about half way from the post, slap some fiberglass on it, paint it and
be done with it.  It looks like this could be done with the rudder in
place.

Patty
Timbuktu 461