[Public-list] More Cockpit Coamings

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 04:23:19 PST 2005

Speaking of cockpit coamings...

I have some splitting/cracking in the aft ends of my
cockpit coamings.  It appears to be fairly minor, but
in the process of refinishing all of the teak I would
like to repair it as much as possible.

I am leaning toward an oil finish for all of the
external teak.  I have never gone that route before so
I have some concerns.  If I were using varnish,
Armada, or Cetol I would fill the cracks with epoxy
thickened with wood flour, but I am not sure how well
that would work if I am going with an oil finish.

My concern is that the oil will not protect the epoxy
and the sun will break it down.

I am also wondering how bad it will look since the
epoxy/wood flour will not soak up any oil.  I think
that if I use the right color wood flour that will be
a non issue.

Has anyone taken this approach?  Did it work out OK?

What other method would you suggest?

Pete #554