[Public-list] Bilge Pumps

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Feb 11 20:32:38 PST 2005

Richard,

The deepest part of the bilge is back under the engine, not under the
batteries.  You want the bilge pump back as far as you can.

I mounted an electric bilge pump to a board which angles back under the
engine from a point next to the batteries.  You do have to remove the
aft battery to pull it out.

I ran the hose up the hull and teed into the existing transom outlet for
the manual bilge pump.  I put a bronze 1-1/4" T on the throughull, and
attached the manual bilge pump hose to the straight-through part.  On
the side outlet, I reduced down to a 1/2" nipple pointed outboard, so
that it's always level or upwards.  Down at the pump end, I reduced the
hose to 1/2" ID, so that when the pump shuts off there's relatively
little water to drain back down.

Get a decent sized pump.  I think I ended up with a 1500 gal/hr unit.
The small ones won't pump that far.  The water would get within a couple
inches of the throughull, but not pump out unless I'd *just* charged the
batteries with shore-power.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.