[Public-list] Bilge Pumps

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat Feb 12 02:51:28 PST 2005

Richard,
  When I installed an electric bilge pump on #497, I took a different
approach. I originally used a Shur-Flo Blaster mounted on a board installed
in the aft port locker. From there a hose ran into the "sump" area under the
engine (but stopped a few inches short of the real bottom of the sump. On
the outflow side, I drilled in a new through hull, fairly high, and ran the
hose up to the under side of the deck, then back down to the through hull.
  I chose the "Blaster" because it had the highest input lift height, with
an adequate output lift height, and a reasonable GPH rate, for the buck (it
could also run dry without damage). I installed one of those dedicated,
fused, bilge pump swithes to control the pump. I wired the pump direct to
both terminals (with out a float switch), so I had the choice of clicking on
and releasing or having to hold the switch on (for when the motor was
running and I couldn't hear the pump). Never did install the float switch. I
stopped the input hose short of the bottom of the sump by accident. I didn't
buy enough hose! (ended up being a good thing).
  It ran fine for two years. Then I decided that I wanted the hose to reach
the bottom of the sump. I replaced the input hose and put an input strainer
on it. The pump clogged soon there after. I cleaned it out, and it clogged
again, One more time. Then I decided to get a real "Bilge" pump instead of
continually rebuilding / cleaning the Blaster. I gave up a lot of GPH, but
got passed the clogging problem by installing the small (yet powerful) PAR
diaphram pump (37202 - no longer made (I think). Replaced by 37202-2). It
ran fine until I sold the boat. (As an aside, that same Blaster is now
rebuilt and installed in my current boat as a deck wash down pump. Runs
fine).
Regards,
Brian  ex#497