[Public-list] Space Above Keel

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Jan 17 08:13:12 PST 2005

Hi Albergers.

There is a drawing of the hull lines on the upper left corner of the "Alberg30: Brochures" page (http://www.alberg30.org/boat/A30brochure.html) on the A30 web site.  It shows a dotted line sloping up going forward at the bottom of the hull that, I assume, represents the cast iron ballast which, if correct, would indicate there is some space between the bottom of the lockers under the cabin sole and the top of the keel.

Has anyone removed those locker bottoms (on a non-liner boat) and discovered what lies below?  I assume the "bulkheads" separating the lockers are glassed into the sides of the hull from the bottom of the sole to the top of the keel.  I am interested in knowing how much space is available between the bottom of lockers and top of the keel and if the top of the keel forms a continuous diagonal slope as shown on the drawing.

Thanks,

Roger