[Public-list] Anchoring advice

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Sun Jan 9 11:29:56 PST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:45:52 -0500 , "sousa, stephen (ENG)"
wrote:
John
Just to add to the confusion, on my trip to Florida in 2003
I anchored out every night wind current and all.  Each night
I used 2 anchors in a up current down current configuration.
 This only took me as a solo sailor en extra 20 mins each to
set and retrieve each anchor.  With this setup I sat at
anchor in 20-25kts of wind with no swinging.  At home in
ontario where I live when at anchor I often use a second
(Kellet) anchor on a shot rode to stop swing but is only
good if other boats arround have enough room to swing and
miss you.  In the passed when at a mooring in current I also
experienced the boat riding up to the ball, my solution was
to lash the tiller over causing the boat to try to steer
away from the ball.  Dont give up anchoring this is the best
way to enjoy any boat.

John Boor
Mahseer

> John,
>
> I don't know if this help in your situation. Where we have
> our mooring, the
> Ipswich River in some cases we have a tendency to ride up
on
> the mooring
> ball. I used a 5 gallon bucket with a series of 3 inches
> holes drilled into
> it to counter the flow rate of water. This seems to hold
the
> boat steady
> with little current with wind a stern. I haven't had the
> problem of her
> riding over the anchor rode, she will normally point into
> the wind.
>
> Stephen

we
> had corrected
> that
> with a riding sail hung from the backstay. This works well
> with no current,
> keeping her straight into the breeze. On a few occasions
> recently, however,
> we've found her beam to the wind, if not stern-to, for long
> periods of time.
> In
> the worst cases, she will literally sail to the anchor so
> forcefully, the
> rode
> will come tight under the keel, grinding on her bottom.
It's
> not pleasant,
> and
> not safe!
>
> Any similar experiences out there? Any solutions? We've
been