[Public-list] Woodstove (was "Interior Paint")

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Jan 10 12:09:13 PST 2005

Hi there -

We've got a Dickenson Stainless Steel stove that we are very happy with.  I
bought it as a treat for myself while we were shooting M&C because I wanted
to sail in the late fall once I finally got home.  Little did I know that
only a few months later I would be stocking the British Davey stoves...

The Dickenson stove has a front loading door which is fitted with a sliding
shutter..when it is fixed in the up position you can see the fire through
the exposed grill.  We usually leave just a crack showing so that you can
see the orange flickering - makes the wine taste so much better, skin tones
look so rich etc etc. (ahem, enough of that)

The Davey stoves have a top loading set-up and the damper is below the
firebox so you cannot see the fire.  On the other hand they have a clever
design that involves the flue coming down half-way in the fire box.  What
that means is you can load the thing up with coal or charcoal - and the fuel
can't burn until it works its way done to the level of the flue. I guess
that is the sort of thing that everybody knew when small stoves were fitted
in boats all the time but everybody has forgotten today.

In the Dickenson we burn charcoal briquettes (not the volatile self-priming
kind!) five or six at a time.  The stove burns for about 90 minutes.  I
guess it might burn longer if we put a damper shutter in the flue but I am
leary of potential fumes in the boat so we keep an open draught despite the
way that makes the fuel burn faster.

Being stainless steel the Dickenson heats up faster - being cast iron the
Davey stays hot longer - the Dickenson has built in all round heat shields -
the Davey is smaller - and so on.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise