[Public-list] Ice in the Bilge

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Fri Jan 28 15:21:30 PST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:03:50 -0500, "Todd Redhead"
wrote:
A friends A30 had this same problem 4 years ago.  Our
solution was a space heater inside with a smaller
portable heater were we could move close to the ice add
heat and then chip away each day until the bilge was
dry.  The problem was caused by a loop in the deck
scupper drain hose having a natural water trap and
during a mid winter thaw/freeze cycle it burst then a
warm rain filled the boat above the floor boards.  In
the spring the boat was inspected with no damage to the
hull. The bilge waste holding tank burst and the fresh
water tank suffered some ice damge, dont leave this
until spring do it now until it is dry.  We did remove
the raw water inlet hose wnd was ok until the ice was
at the inlet level,  We found that leaving on did not
melt the ice it just made working in the boat bearable,
a heater directly to the ice and picking it out worked
best.  It took the best part oa week to clean the bilge
out even then with the line in the boat the bilge was
not completly emp[ty.
John Boor
MAHSEER 380