[Public-list] Cabin Interior

Coultis cjzoocrew at rogers.com
Sun Jul 17 00:18:01 PDT 2005

  Hi Tom,

  We're re-arranging our "to do" list  on our Alberg 30 after reading your
email.  My husband and I are trying to determine what work needs to be
tackled this summer and were getting a little discouraged (just mildly)
realizing that some things are going to have to wait for the Fall,
especially after reading the other emails about hull drying, etc.

  I have been sailing our Alberg 30 on Lake Ontario for the past 34 or my 50
years.  But I have been sailing all my life on a wide variety of cruising
and racing sailboats in Canada and the U.S.  I learned, at a very young age,
the importance (and  rewards ) of their ongoing maintenance (especially when
it was also my home).

  My Dad was "passionate" about maintaining the engine (he replaced the
Universal Atomic gas engine with diesel).  He passed away 3 years ago and up
until then spent every year with my mother, for about 34 years,  from June
until September living aboard in Picton and the Bay of Quinte area.  Because
they didn't venture too far while they were there, Dad never had to do
anything "major" to the boat - just general maintenance.  However, I
remember making  subtle suggestions every so often, as any enthusiastic
young sailing offspring would   attempt to do...about purchasing a new sail
or to make "small" onboard improvements (to make my mother more comfortable
of course) such as, replacing the tiller with a wheel so that it was easier
for her to steer downwind  ...especially with that long keel.  Then later
when both my parents retired and the long trips down the lake seemed to get
longer for them...a furling system for the headsail was a welcome addition.
Well, now Dad's gone and I swear the boat knows this, eventhough "she's
still in the family" - it's painfully apparent that 34 years has caught up
with us all.

  We had not even considered painting the interior, or noticed any problems
with the keel (so far ) - we're just gearing up to replace the holding tank
and water tank and all the connecting pipes, hoses and fittings, replacing
the alcohol stove with propane, putting in pressure water (I've lost track
of how many whale pumps we've had to replace), installing an electric bilge
pump and doing an entire electrical system refit (above and below
deck)....so now that we know painting the interior won't be too much of a
challenge, thanks to your suggestion, we'll put it on our "to do" list for
the Fall or next Spring, right there beside converting the ice box to
refrigeration, and everything else that we won't get around to this summer
because we'll be sailing ... p.s.:  do you know of any plans for converting
that heavy dining table (with the pipe support) into a more accessible (and
less lethal) folding table?

  Thanks.

  Cathie Coultis #448