[Public-list] Re: Rudder Shoe Repair

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Thu Jun 16 06:51:31 PDT 2005

To follow up on Mikes comments,  on  Quest,  I too had some play and
obtained the parts to replace the bronze pin (bolt).  What I found however
upon removing the shoe was a very intact pin of what looked to be
stainless.  I assume this was a previous repair by the former owner.  The
cutout in the shoe where the pin rests was worn into an oval shape and
allowed for the play in the rudder.  I took the shoe to a machine shop
where they drilled the cutout back into a round shape and then fabricated
and pressed into the cutout a bronze bushing with an inside diameter that
matched the pin.  This has held well for over five years.  Mike states not
to use stainless for the pin replacement and it is probably good advice.
While I did not have any corrosion,  it would appear that the wear
characteristics of the two metals may be enough to cause more rapid wear
on the shoe cutout.  I will probably have to have a new bushing made at
some point but so far it has held.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay,  VA.