[Public-list] Rudder - almost there

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Tue Mar 15 03:47:06 PST 2005

>What type of fiberglass do I use to encase the rudder - >there is matted or
>cloth or ground up fibers -- and if I go >with cloth (or not?), what weight
>10z, 4oz, 10oz, etc.)?

the idea is to use alternating layers of mat (the chopped up looking stuff)
and roving (woven cloth). Did you use some kind of wood for what will be
your core? I would go with at least 4 layers of light stuff- it is much
easier to work around bends and corners, roving for last layer because it
needs less grinding for smoothness.

I would also consider vacuum bagging (it's a convenient size piece for that
process) to get the best resin/glass ratio for strength-at least, that is
what the claim is. I know it reduces air bubbles and voids in your work.

Michael Grosh