[Public-list] Re:Cetol, etc.

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Nov 8 15:05:54 PST 2005

    I just finished my semi-annual application of Cetol Lite. Finally
got smart and did it from the pier, turning the boat around to do the
port side the same  way. The tide was just right. (Much easier on my 72
year old knees than trying to re-do the rails from on the boat.)  The
old Cetol really looked nice. I almost let it go until spring, but it
was so nice today I was ambitious. I first, years ago,  used varnish,
and it was a bear. Had to strip it off a couple of times, though
presumably light sanding and re-coating each spring should be enough,
but I guess the Virginia sun and the oil in the teak did bad things to
the varnish (several kinds of varnish.)

    Then I tried teak oil for a couple of years and it had to be re-done
about once a month or it looked terrible. Cetol is not as pretty as new
varnish, but on my boat it is not orange, but, well, teak color and it
lasts a year before it really needs re-doing and  can go a year and a
half, and re-finishing is pretty easy.

    Bilges: My boat (# 275, 1967) has a layer of sloppy fiberglass over
the iron ballast in the keel.  There seems to be some kind of sand in
there around the iron. Any ideas on that? Whitby used sand to pack
around the iron insert? Anyway, the fiberglass over the iron is pretty
poor in places. There is a fairly sound bottom to the space under the
cabin sole where the batteries are (I would not call it the bilge - the
bilge is under there) but under the engine there was a flimsy bit of
fiberglass that I eventually took out, as it was not solid and got in
the way of  putting in the electric bilge pump. I kinda think the iron
ballast is sitting in bilge water but I do not know anything to do about it.

- Gordon White, Brigadoon II