[Public-list] New Owner Questions

John Boor 5thseason at canada.com
Wed Nov 9 07:02:11 PST 2005

> John,
>  I'm assuming you applied the epoxy directly on to the
> teak. What kind of preparation did you do to the teak?

My first try was to sand down the teak to natural wood then
I used an oil based mahogany stain then applied 1 coat of
West system 207 clear resin.  This resin is used when you
want a clear wood finish on a boat and has built in U.V
protection.  However I later found out the epoxy does not
bind to oil based stains and may lift. My second attempt was
again sand down to wood and after wiping down with acetone
to remove teak oil I applied 1 coat of West system epoxy
then varnish. My first attempt was done over 3 years ago and
as long as there is no scuffs or scratches to the epoxy base
it has held up very well.  I appled at least 7 coats of
varnish origionaly and do a minimum of 2 coats per spring
with good results.  Please note I live in Ontario with a 6
month max season and have winter coverage when on the hard,
this will delay any U.V degregation.

John Boor
MAHSEEr #380