[Public-list] Redoing Teak in Hatches and Seat Tops

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 28 08:08:06 PST 2005

Hello Roger -

I would suggest that creating places to stack gear on deck is generally to
be avoided.  Similarly, you will generally avoid going up and down the deck
on the leeward side while under weigh unless there  is something down there
that needs particular attention (genny track adjustments etc)

On the windward side having the rails inboard is a good thing as it widens
your stance when moving forward and aft. We have not found the handrail in
its normal position to be uncomfortable to sit on.  I have on occasion
considered adding rails on the forward (lower) section of the coach roof but
I guess since you can hang onto the shrouds up there we have not done it.

Our main source of crew security are the jacklines that run up each side of
deck.  Aboard Surprise they go from the life line stanchion base abreast the
main sheet winches up through the cleats on the foredeck and back down the
other side.  We use red 1/2" dacron braided rope with the core stripped out.
Nothing else in the rig is red and nothing else is flat; so the potential
for mistakes clipping on are minimized.  I used wire on my last boat but
wire rolls under foot and we wanted to eliminate that hazard.

Well - there is a rambling response...

Gord #426 Surprise