[Public-list] battery box

John Boor 5thseason at canada.com
Sun Oct 30 07:02:28 PST 2005

>stephen, Roger and all.
Photo's are available for you to see at
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/batterybox/
I have not included much text except one showing the cabin
sole, this was 2 3/4in plywood sections glued together plus
a veneer. The lower piece of ply was screwnailed to the
stringers then the second layer bonded to the first. after
cutting across the floor at each access port and breaking
the bondo along the sides the rusted out screws popped out
without any resistance.  After completing the work I used
long flat top hex head lag bolts to allow access once a year
to top up water and do a specific gravity check on all
batteries.  Since the well is sloping to the aft I placed
the new box floor deep enough for the tallest battery to
fit, I also made sure there was clearance below the floor to
allow water to drain aft.  As a final note when I had
cleared out all the rotten wood out there is almost 30 in
from the bottom to the cabin sole, a lot of lost space.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380

> Thank you, it sounds as though we will all be in your
> situation someday. It would be great to have some guidance
> in that area.
>
> Stephen
>
> > Roger and Stephen
>
> I have one photo of work in progress, I would like to take
> some more to show the finished battery box area with
> batteries installed and can do this in the next day or
> two.  I understand that I cannot send attachments to the
> alberg site directly so will send them to George for
> inclusion on the site.
>
> John Boor
> MAHSEER #380

> > Do you have photos of your battery install?  Did you
> > enlarge the hatches in the sole to make room for the
> > batteries?
> >
> > Roger

> > From: "John Boor" <5thseason at canada.com>

> > > slopes to the aft end of the keel cavity, and is about
> > > 12in deep just before it passes through the engine
> > > compartment bulkhead.  I found that all of the lateral
> > > stringers had rotted out at the base due to excessive
> > > water intrusion over the years and I had to replace
> > > them.  Check to make sure all the limber holes are
> > > open and you have a natural slope into the bilge area.
> > >  Since I was in this part of the boat I reworked the
> > > battery box area to accomodate 4 6volt deep cycle
> > > batteries and a starting battery and still allow water
> > > to flow through from the forward section to the bilge.
> > >  Also as Roger states the cabin sole is only fastened
> > > at the lateral stringers and filler used to blend the
> > > sole into the hull and settee bulkheads.
      John Boor
> > > MAHSEER

Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
scanning. Visit
http://www.canada.com/email/premiumservices.html for more
information.