[Public-list] Re: outboards on A-30s

J Bergquist JOHN.R.BERGQUIST at saic.com
Fri Sep 30 06:10:57 PDT 2005

Gordon,

I guess I thought that part of what the association does is provide rules
which specify what equipment should be used for racing. This is an important
part of the function of most one-design class associations that I know
about. Class rules are necessary because they define what equipment is
allowed for competition.

Most (maybe all) regattas I have been to are governed first by RRS, then by
Class Rules (or PHRF rules), and finally by the Sailing Instructions. SI's
can override RRS and Class Rules, so the RC always can change them. But I
don't see how having different rules regarding auxiliary power for different
regattas could be construed as a good thing for racers. In my opinion,
consistency in rules tends to make it simple and easy for people to race
their boat in many different regattas without making changes to the
equipment.

So I guess it seems to me like it would be a good function of the
association to provide such information in advance so that owners can know
what they can and cannot do.

I'm not just trying to create work for people. I love the Association as
much as you do. And I'd be happy to help with such an effort to define the
rules (though I'm sure many would say I have a conflict of interest since I
clearly want to have the option of using an outboard).

This is an important issue. I am not the first person to bring it up. There
are a LOT of owners out there floating around with very old Atomic Bombs in
their bilges. It is undeniably a MUCH cheaper solution to repower with an
outboard. One of our most esteemed members has already done it several years
ago. I think that the association should take this request seriously
because, at least on the Chesapeake, racing is an important part of life as
an Alberger!

Kind regards,

JB