[Public-list] Roller Reefing Boom

Michael Grosh dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Mon Apr 17 07:08:53 PDT 2006

Other (unmentioned) uses for the vang
1. I have a couple of padeyes port and stbd (I'm not sure if they were
original to the boat, I suppose one could also use the 'eyes'  in the bases
of the lifeline stanchions) to then rig the vang as a preventer. That
greatly flattens the main when sailing off wind, and reduces the threat of
uncontrolled gibes.
2. Set the vang as a preventer on one side, the main traveler on the other,
which 'locks' the boom midships and makes setting the sunshade a lot more
secure if there is a lot of wake especially when anchored out somewhere.
3. The vang is part of my get man back on board overboard drill (4:1
purchase)

The original attachment point for the vang on my boat looked like a homemade
affair -a plate that attached under the bolts on the mast step. I wasn't
comfortable with the way the stainless bolts were threaded in the aluminum
step I have installed a U bolt (with backing) just aft of the mast. I'm not
sure how accessible the under side is on the liner boats.  On the boom is a
stainless strap thru bolted. Roller furling is no longer an option, I don't
miss it. I have that plate laying around somewhere.

BTW the slab reefing  isn't the easiest thing to do especially when short
handed-it takes practice. I find it way easier to set up for shortened sail
before I even raise the main. That's something I don't think is even
possible with boom roller furling.

Michael Grosh