[Public-list] replacing spreaders

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Wed Apr 26 12:37:49 PDT 2006

Jock... Why do you recommend Spruce? I know it's light (they used to make
airplanes out of it)  but not nearly  as strong or rot resistant as oak.

I haven't had my mast down in a couple of years but the oak spreaders
looked to be in good shape then. Original? I just put white enamel on top
and varnish on the bottom. I did feel a little guilty not replacing them
after all these years but they looked too good. Since then, Phil Beigel
told me that the wooden spreaders tend to start rotting inside the mast
brackets where you can't see it, so maybe I do need to build new ones,
after all. They are easy enough to make. Maybe next year :-)

Does Spruce (Sitka?) have some other advantage?... Bob

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181