[Public-list] depression in hull

Brian Hofler bhofler at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 30 03:29:49 PST 2006

While working on Putachieside (#496) recently I noticed a depression in the
hull mid-ships near the chain plates. The depression (indentation) seemed to
be greater on the starboard side than the port. Last year I did a major
refit that included increasing the size of the chain plate bolts as
described in previous postings on this site. During the refit I did not
notice the indentations which are located at the hull / deck joint. I am
concerned that perhaps the mast compression beam and / or the bulkhead have
weakened thus causing the hull to flex in this area and collapse slightly. I
have checked the maintenance guides and cannot find any direct comments on
this phenomenon. If anyone has had a similar experience with this issue I
would appreciate your comments / solutions.

Cheers
Brian