[Public-list] Wooden rudders on old Albergs

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 12 07:47:21 PST 2006

Hugh;
    From what one can see on the box from photos, it appears as if a
temporary fix will get you home and then you will have all the rest of
the Newfoundland boat building skills to help with either restore or
replace tactics. You might also want to contact Brian Matthews, a member
of the GLAA who has redone a GRP rudder on an AL22. He is a mould maker
himself so has a whole skill set most of us don't.
    It would appear as if the main decision is whether the rudder will
break if hit by a foreign object once you are in ocean conditions and
leave you with potentially no steerage other than sails.  Such is the
consideration for one piece of metal on the front of the blade.
     Certainly this looks as if a laminate of epoxied fiberglass could
be applied for the short haul to reinforce the blade and help to prevent
further widening of the seam even if you just used 6"tape on the joints.
Don