[Public-list] roller furling sail conversion

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Fri Feb 17 11:19:02 PST 2006

I actually did both. short term I had the sail that came with the boat
coverted. the price was reasonable and the results as expected - ok but
not spectacular - with the problems Mike decribes. I looked Hartick in
NY and really like the prodcut but went with Quatum here in Traverse
City and was very pleased. I purchaed a pentax  laminate genoa, paid
about 1600 USD and am very happy wiith it. The price was a fall discount
price. I could have purchased a dacron sail for a lot less,but chose
this sail partly because I had a similar sail on my Cal 27 - liked it
very much. The sail magazines have advertizements for places like MACK
sails and others that have used sails in a wide range of quality. You
might look there as well. I have no experience with them - can not make
a recommendation.

>>> haymatthew_ at hotmail.com 02/16/06 6:20 PM >>>
Matthew Hay #314

I am installing a Schaefer 1100 series roller furler on my 1969 alberg
30.
In your experience what is more cost effective: to convert an older
hank-on
sail that is in semi-good shape or to buy a new/used jib (perhaps
larger
then I have) that is already furler ready?  If the latter, where would
you
purchase such a sail  (preferably used to save money).

Thank you very much.

Matthew #314 "Renard"