[Public-list] headsail size

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Sat Feb 18 08:03:36 PST 2006

  Hi Matt:

  As I mentioned before I had all my sails retrofitted.  Certainly Mike is
correct about buying a new sail specifically for a furler but three of my
four sails were just like new so I decided to keep them.

  I have a standard jib; a 170 genoa and two number 2 genoas.  One of the
#2's is cut high and is in excellent shape. The other was originally on the
wire furler that came with the boat and is very low cut and in so-so shape
but I love the way it pulls   Joe at Triton Sails thought that it was still
good enough so I paid the $150 to cut it off the wire and convert it for the
furler.  I sail on Lake Huron and generally prefer the high cut sail
although it does not pull like the low cut sail.

  I don't use the 170 much as it is just too much sail and as Mike says it
will not reef properly at all.  However my high cut #2 holds it shape well
enough when partially furled for cruising in rough conditions (my major
concern).  We were caught in a heavy storm in Lake Huron some years ago and
using only the furled #2 we made landfall in comfort.   It is stored here
and I can get the measurements if you would like them.

  Peter Hay (no relation)