[Public-list] Alberg 30 wanted

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 5 06:59:42 PDT 2006

David;
    Sorry to hear of changing circumstances that necessatate selling an Alberg
without a motor. It makes it extremely difficult to get a good price. I would
suggest that you go ahead with the fixing of that. Loss of compression is
usually rings, and Moyer Marine in Harrisburg is the best place to get them and
bearings. There is a set of bearings in Toronto but at twice the price of those
in the US. While you are at it with the moror torn down, I would recommend that
you do a comnplete rebuild. Moyer's manual, while expensive, is excellent and
lets one do the job oneself with the only tool I needed to buy being a torque
wrench. This one job paid for it since I did not have any outside paid labour. I
had a machine shop magnaflux the block and head, check the crank and he has
valves made for Atomic 4s at $30 Canadian, so if you need those we can send you
there. Watch when you take the block apart for the arrows on the piston tops and
the numbering as it is reversed to car engines. I found the worst part of salt
water blocks was that they are so corroded internally that they may not be worth
rebuilding.
    Unfortunatley,  I do not need a third Alberg, but I will mention it at the
Syronelle weekend in 2 weeks. I know I have crew on the race series that would
like an Alberg, but money is an object at the moment.
Don