[Public-list] PROP SHAFT TUBE LEAK

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Fri Jun 16 19:16:59 PDT 2006

The gray stuff is Thiakol, the original sealant used on the stern
tubes.  If the stern tube is leaking, it is probably because the stern
tube, which is threaded into the cutlass bearing, has come adrift from
the Thiakol.  Suggest at next haulout you remove and re-bed both the
stern tube and the cutlass bearing.  Mike is right--you can use 5200,
but be prepared to be particular about aligning the stern tube around
the propshaft. The shaft needs to be centered!!

Best,
Rob