[Public-list] Atomic 4 parts & info needed

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 15 07:03:51 PDT 2006

I am thinking of finally swapping out my old Atomic 4 with a better one that I have in the garage this winter.  I assume that some of you have done something similar, or at least removed the Atomic 4 from your boat and then put it back again.  The basic removal & re-installation seems pretty straight forward, but I do have a couple questions:
1. Did you replace the engine mounts, or the rubber pads on the existing mounts, or just leave it all the same?  The rubber on mine looks pretty sad but changing it would undoubtedly really change the alignment.  Also, what would you replace it with?
2. Did you have to modify anything to be able to really check the engine/shaft alignment?  The access seems pretty poor. (My boat is an early style, 1967)
3. Any other maintenance that I should do when the motor is out of the boat?

On parts, neither of my 2 exhaust manifolds looks real good, and the bolts holding the flange that the exhaust pipe screws into are really gone on the garage engine (it has fiberglass insulation tape wrapped around it & it looks like it held the water in place).  If anyone has a decent exhaust manifold they want to sell, or even just that flange, please contact me off line.  If necessary I will buy a new or re-furbished one from Moyer marine but I am trying to keep the cost down.  These are both "old-style" engines but I understand that a "new-style" manifold can also be made to work.

Thanks for any input.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229