[Public-list] inverter

Rod Symmes harmony at aztec-net.com
Thu Oct 12 12:02:52 PDT 2006

J.
    The answer to your question should probably be " Maybe.......it depends on your laptop"
The manufacturer usually says you should buy there grossly overpriced DC adapter......but her is my experience.
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 series.  It has an AC adapter that puts out 15VDC  so I don't worry about feeding it directly with 12vdc even when the alternator is charging at  14.4.  Low voltage is not a problem for the Toshiba either - it will not shut itself down until the DC input falls below 11 volts and I shouldn't be draining the battery further than that anyway.  I would suggest you check the following and then you should be able to decide for yourself it you want to try your computer on direct DC power.
  1.. Check the manual ( you do know what that looks like, don't you.......;-)  it should quote min. & max dc input and if it has the low voltage shut down feature and at what voltage.
  2.. Check the voltage of the internal battery.  That will give you a clue about what min. voltage the computer will tolerate.  My power pack is 15vdc but the internal battery is only 10.8, so little surprise that mine will work just fine on 12.? dc.  I don't know if my computer will charge it's internal battery when the solar panel has the boat system at 12.8 ( because my internal battery crapped long ago) but I wouldn't be surprised if the 13 or 14 volts while charging would do it fine.
Hope this helps;

Cheers,    Rod