[Public-list] weight distribution and electric power

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 07:59:21 PDT 2006

Gordon-

I did the same math and came to the same conclusion. Why go to electric and
then install a generator? In fact, I looked at exactly the same ones...honda
air cooled gensets.

I could never quantify the drag of the water generator. There are no hard
numbers out there on it. It's even tough to compare apples with apples when
comparing diesel power and electric power, because the diesel gives up a lot
of its available power in losses, where the electric has much lower losses,
and generally more available power. By available I mean that the electric
motor has very different torque and power characteristics which make its
power more available.

It's a very touchy-feely thing, which is unfortunate. And it has a lot to do
with your expected usage profile and how long you expect to go before
selling. There are significant resale value implications.

At the end of the day, there is a lot more Q per pound in internal
combustion. But if you can deal with the lower Q value per pound, electric
can be pretty doggone nice. Simple. Quiet. No smell. Always ready to go.
Pretty slick...

Personally, I am very interested to see how Dan's project turns out. It may
work very well, in which case I'd say it might be something for others to
consider too. I just didn't have the guts to try it like Dan has. Let myself
be talked into sticking with internal combustion...a decision I half regret.

Later,

JB