[Public-list] weight distribution and electric power

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Sep 29 08:09:24 PDT 2006

Yes, very interesting topic.

I used to teach at Georgian College's School of Marine Technology and so had
a terrific library at my disposal.  It was fun trying to figure out hard
numbers for the various options.

With regard to the water generator, I used thrust figures for various revs,
blade orientation, pitch, area, etc. and tried to work backwards to get
figures for a water DRIVEN prop (as opposed to a water driving).  Blade area
is key, and since you can assume that slippage will happen in a similar
ratio to thrust producing props - the big problem is getting the revs high
enough and with enough torque.  Skene's Elements of Yacht Design is a book
with useful data on this topic.

I too look forward to what our colleague comes up with in an actual test.

Gord #426