[Public-List] Selling A-30: In the water or out?

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:00:21 PDT 2007

Rachel

The buyer gets a much better survey if the boat is on the hard because the  bottom, rudder and the mast can be carefully examined in a way that  is not possible while it is in the water. EVen so, as a buyer, I would expect a sea trial. This means you may have to put  it in the water before the sale is final.  I am not sure that an Alberg is an Alberg  if for no other reasons that the sails on each boat are in different condition and, consequently, the buyer may want to look at this aspect of the boat on the water.

A possible "best of both worlds" solution might be having it in the water for a sea trial with the with the understanding that an in the water survey may not be acceptable.This approach worked for the owner of my previous boat, a Cal 27.When I bought my cal 27, it was surveyed in the water. Had anything major come up, I would have asked the owner to get the boat on a truck. That was not necessary.

Local custom may also play into the equation.

As it turns out this response probably provides an argument for both views.

David, 432, Schlolarship II/Talisman

>>> Rachel <penokee at cheqnet.net> 8/29/2007 12:34 PM >>>
Hi folks,

I'm going to sell my Alberg 30, and I've got a question for which I'd
like some input:

I have the boat out of the water on stands right now, with the mast
down and on stands beside the boat, and I'm thinking about whether I
should rig and launch it prior to selling it, or whether I should leave
it on the hard.  If it were me buying, I guess I'd like it on the hard
so that I could get a good look at everything; but, OTOH maybe others
have different views?  Also, I seem to be attracted to hard-to-find
boats, so I usually end up trucking them half way across the country
<laugh>

Currently the boat lives in the lower Chesapeake, so I suppose there's
a good chance it'll go to its new home by water, but OTHO it's ready to
hop onto a truck as-is, without more than a couple of hours of prep
work...

As I type this I realize the correct answer is probably "it depends" -
and that there's really no knowing in advance.  But, I'm always open to
input :-)

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221