[Public-list] Canadian Charts

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 29 11:02:09 PST 2007

Brian

I went through this drill last year while preparing to go to New Brunswick.  The Canadian Government holds the copyright on their charts and hasn't released them for download.  Each company that uses electronic charting, such as Garmin, has to get a license to use the data.  They have one company that does CDs and by agreement they are available through Map Tech in the US.
http://www.maptech.com/water/digitalcharts/index.cfm?infopg=buy&area=Great%20Lakes%20and%20Eastern%20Canada

The Canadian publisher is NDI digital ocean  http://www.digitalocean.ca/DigitalOceanE-Store//index.asp  and the best price I found was through Defender.  The charts required registration through the company and can only be downloaded on two computers.  Even if you copy it on a CD burner, the registration requirement kicks in, been there tried that.

They aren't cheap.  Here is the link to the one I needed.  http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|17|320676|320679|320957&id=1193

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
CT 35

"Ah consensus . the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead.  What great cause would have been fought and won under the banner 'I stand for consensus'?"

Margaret Thatcher