[Public-list] Hot Epoxy in the bilge

victoria youngaitis vickyyoungaitis at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 20 02:45:52 PST 2007

Hi, folks!  Just to add my 2 cents...
Once one goes down the path of tar, there's no turning back!  I put tar into
my old schooner's bilge-well, years ago, and no amount or type of primer, or
anything, would stick to it, thereafter.  It's like... you either decide to
go with the old-timey tar/linseed oil/turpentine stuff that the wood loved,
OR you go with the modern materials (epoxy, and such).  But, they don't mix.

Also, to gain more time with the batches of epoxy, you can always put the
container (I always re-use the plastic pint or quart containers that Chinese
food comes in) into a pail of ice.  I used to tie the pail to my bosun's
chair when I would haul myself up my spruce masts to epoxy-fill the checks
in the wood, and it usually kept it workable for the duration.  (Of course,
if I was careless and sloshed the ice-water into the epoxy container, then I
had to lower myself down, cussing, to mix a new batch.)

I haven't had a chance to search for it, but does someone know the name of
the Triton association?  I need to pull out my Atomic 4, but the location of
the engine is mostly underneath the cockpit, my boom is in need of a
gooseneck, and the only overhead is the cabin top, which I'm not sure can
support the weight.  I know a shipyard that will pull it out for me, but
they still want me to remove the tranny, mounting bolts, etc.,  which means
paying them AND going headfirst down through the cockpit locker to reach the
back of the engine.  Sounds like the A30 is alot friendlier!