[Public-list] Original Muffler

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 13:41:00 PDT 2007

bill
  when i removed mine the bolts came away with great ease. the pipe was felt solid. the muffler in the lazarette was solid as well, but the elbow was rusted and fell apart in my hands as i started to put a wrench to the area.
  good luck
  dan
  e Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
  Bill Newman wrote:
> My #233 still has the original muffler which consist of an iron pipe,
> wrapped, I suppose, in asbestos and a hose that sends water to the
> muffler in the stern locker. At the moment everything seems fine but
> it is hard to believe that a 39 year old piece of wrapped pipe can
> last much longer. The fact that the boat has never been in salt
> water may help. My concern is how to get the manifold bolts out.
> With a car, heat or drilling may be the answer but given the enclosed
> space and proximity of the gas tank, this would seem to be out of the
> question. Has anyone had any experience with this. Any suggestions
> will be much appreciated.

I suggest spraying it with PB Blaster (available at a lot of auto parts
stores) or Kroil (probably only available from the manufacturer). Do
this daily and bang it with a hammer.

I have, on one occasion, had to take the manifold off (remove the carb
from it first) and out of the boat to remove it.

BTW, there's a picture of my system on
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/ except
that, in my most recent incarnation, I went with brass/bronze and used a
hosebarb instead of half pipe nipple at the output end.

> Also when I was thinking of doing it last season Mike Lehman
> suggested a Vetus muffler but I haven't been able to find the model
> number he gave me. If anyone knows that I would appreciate getting
> it again.

Hmmm... Maybe Vetus doesn't make it anymore. My web searches turn up a
Centek Vernalift, however.

- George

P.S. I've got some copper pipe, if anyone wants to make the old
standpipe system
(http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/standpipe.html).
Speak up now, though, as I'm getting ready to recycle the copper.

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash