[Public-list] Original Muffler

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Tue Mar 13 06:31:52 PDT 2007

David Parkes wrote:
<snip>
>  My
> question is this; should I replace the bronze standpipe style exhaust with
> another just like it (and therefore buy a piece of pipe from you) or should
> I go with the simpler black iron pipe style of exhaust
<snip>
>   Please keep in mind
> that the boat is now in salt water.
> David Parkes

The water lift type mufflers are a big improvement over the original.
Mine is constructed of fiberglass or some kind of plastic-in place for
well over 20 years, I haven't ever wiggled back there to take a good
look at it-and the biggest improvement is it opens up the lazarrette for
all kinds of stuff-we keep our garbage bags in there among other
flotsam, because there is no longer a heat issue

MichaelGrosh

P.S. I have had to change the mixing elbow on my Yanmar diesel twice now
(it bolts to the manifold). Nev-R-Seize _everything_ when you put stuff
back together. I even smear the stuff inside hoses before clamping
(double) them.