[Public-list] Wednesday Night Race: 3rd Race Summary

Tim Williams tim at goosemonkey.com
Fri May 18 06:35:44 PDT 2007

Albergers,

In keeping with our new-found tradition of winning boats providing a recap
of races, here's my tardy report on WNR number 3.

=====================

Wednesday Night Summary

Race No. 3

We were successful in winning the third WNR of the first series this year.  The
conditions were 6-8 kts out of the south with limited seas.

When we come to the Severn from Whitehall Creek, we have the advantage of
getting to see the conditions out in the Bay and to watch the Etchells
(first class to start) make their way up the windward leg.  Tonight we saw
steady conditions and felt the wind would build a bit as we got out to the
Bay.

The start was key to getting out ahead.  As we all know, you need to have
clear air and speed (or momentum) for a good Alberg start.  As we neared the
start time, the wind seemed to languish a bit, so we stayed very near the
line.

A key to a successful start is to sight the line.  To do this, before the
start, sail outside the pin end of the line and sight the pin, the flag on
the committee boat and something on shore.  When you are starting, you can
sight the flag on the committee boat and the thing on shore to know how
close you are to the line.  Take care to be aware if the committee moved the
line between your sighting and the start!

We started mid-line to keep clear air and make it easier to ensure we had
speed.  After two tacks up to the first mark, we decided to stay high of the
course to the next mark.  One of the big boat starts had been recalled and
restarted after us.  (We are usually the last class to start since we're
slow.)  They were now rolling over us and by staying high we were able to
keep clear air and speed, even though we sailed a longer distance.

Rounding the next mark, we had to head to an inflatable mark toward Tolly
Point, making this leg a beat.  We were tempted to tack as soon as we
rounded—here's why: we rounded on starboard tack coming off a reach and
rounding up to close hauled.  The big boats coming behind us point better
than we can and are on starboard as they come around.  We've been pinned
down after the rounding, unable to tack onto port and cross the line of big
boats and unable to point high enough to keep clear air.

This time the rounding was a bit different, though.  We felt we would not
get rolled too badly by the big boats, and we wanted to get out toward the
Bay as soon as possible.  We felt there would be a lift as the wind bends
around Tolly and it looked like there was better pressure out there.  This
was a bit risky as we watched Argo and Skybird tack after rounding the mark.
We managed the risk by tacking about half way up the beat and loosely
covering them.  I'm not sure we made out much by going left, but we seemed
to hold our lead.

>From that mark we popped the chute and the LinGin crew worked hard to keep
us going as fast as possible.  One thing you quickly learn in the WNR is
that a lead out in the river can QUICKLY be erased in the harbor as the wind
drops significantly and the boats behind catch up.  You can't relax until
you've crossed that line!

The crew did a great job and we're looking forward to the next race.

--Tim

LinGin #244