[Public-list] What to do with expired flares

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 14 19:11:03 PDT 2007

A few years ago, Practical Sailor magazine (the Consumers Report of the marine world), tested smpke flares in the daytime. With a 10 mph wind, most of the smoke was so diddipated that it could not be seen from 1/2 mile away. They tested and suggested that the
white/gray smoke from aPains-Wessek MK6 handheld flare not only gave off a red glow but that the smoke was thicker than the red smoke from a smoke flare. Ed. Schroeder
dickdurk at atlanticbb.net wrote:
>I read a magazine article once that said flares don't >attract much attention
>during the daytime. It recommended having smoke flare

I have to wonder if we are not approaching a law of
diminishing returns here. At some point, carrying
equipment to get oneself out of a jam. may be more
realistic than waiting for someone to rescue .

By way of separating theory from reality: when a car alarm
goes off in a parking lot, what do you do?

MichaelGrosh