[Public-List] Cushions at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca;

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Oct 11 16:16:16 PDT 2007

We redid our salon cushions this year. The previous
ones were a lurid 1970s orange, stained, had a few
holes and thin.

For the foam, we went to a thrift store and bought a 5" thick
foam mattress for 30$. This became the seats. The backs we made
out of the old seats. We cut the
cushions to shape using an electric carving knife which goes
through foam like butter. You can also glue bits of foam together
fairly easily using contact cement. The
result is as solid as the original foam and once the cover is on
you can't detect the join by feel.

The covers were made out of Aerotex. This is an teflon coated
olefin fabric. Apparently it is mostly sold to restaurants
although we first heard about through a car upholstery store.
$18/yard at:
http://crate.ca/fabriccommercial.htm
I'm not sure about UV resistance, but the cabin is rarely
exposed to that much sunlight.

We cut and sewed it ourselves following the instructions in
Don Casey's canvaswork book. We used our Sailrite LSZ-1 sewing
machine. It probably could have been done on a less powerful
machine.

Total cost 30 + 18$/yard times 10 yards = $210
(plus some zippers)

Stephen
#495 Quasar

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn