[Public-List] Toe rail attachment

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 15:20:32 PDT 2007

Hi David,
  I guess they made several different toe rail configurations.  My boat hull #388 has a toe rail that's actually part of the deck mold which is glass around a block of wood.  On top of this toe rail is a decorative cap rail made out of teak.  If it's the same configuration as yours, then the cap rails are merely screwed into the toe rail with tapping screws covered by bungs.  You'll have to pop the bungs.  Also, if indeed this is your configuration, then I doubt that the source of your leaks are these screws.  Most likely, it's either your chain plates, stanchions bases and/or the hull-deck joint.

  Caprice had serious leakage and I spent much of the summer rebedding everything including the hull-deck joint.  The latter is a horrible job where to this day, I still find left over "short words" flying out of my mouth like some tourettes sufferer.   Anyway...so far, I'm dry...knock on teak..

  good luck,

  Bobby
  Caprice #388

David Parkes <davidparkes at ns.aliantzinc.ca> wrote:
  Hello all,
Can someone tell me how the toe rail is fastened to the deck? I am in the
middle of refinishing the toe rail and find that it has lifted from the deck
in one place. I'm concerned that it may be causing a leak forward of the
head and I may want to remove it and re-bed it. Any and all advice would be
richly appreciated.
David Parkes
"Sapphira" #417