[Public-List] bottom paint/thin gelcoat

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Thu Aug 7 09:49:06 PDT 2008

Greetings,

The bottom paint discussion brings to mind a question regarding
      thin/very worn gel coat....

Last time I sanded off all the bottom paint (several years ago when
       the boat was new-- to me, and encumbered by many layers of
       who-knew-what kinds of paints) I found the gel coat was
       extremely thin to just plain missing in places.

What's the thinking about that? Is it a good idea to re-gelcoat those
      patches? Does anyone worry about that at all?

On these 40 yr old boats this has got to be something many of us have
     seen.

   Thanks--
Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham. WA.