[Public-List] wood inset in hatches and seats

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Mon Jun 23 06:05:35 PDT 2008

Mark

When I got my boat, the inserts fit your description. I replaced them with 3/8 teak inserts. They have stood up well with one exception. It is important to have the inserts made so  you can caulk them. If the wood inserts fit "perfectly" water can get in and then the inserts will bow up. One got so bad I had to replace it.  the fit was "perfect" and so I have had the the same problems. This time I cut them back, filled underneath them with epoxy - now they stay put and water does not get in. Since this insert was made from planks, they too tend to split - I have done similar filling there as well . It seems to be holding reasonably well  so far. If you can make your own, you can avoid all these problems. Sometimes, I think Alberg ownershhip sholuld include some good working equipment.

If you have a place near by that sells teak plywood, that is is just as good as solid teak. If you keep the inserts caulked and treated with varnish or cetol, sanding  and bowing should not be an options. And if they collapse over time, you have a lot of teak plywood left to build new ones.

David, 432

>>> Mark Dietrich <mrkdtrch at yahoo.com> 06/22/08 9:47 PM >>>
Has anyone replaced the wood panels in the various locations on an Alberg? The wood seems to be 1/4" Luann mahogany glued over 3/4" strips of plywood with an 1/8" gap between them.  The 1/4" panel never cracked but looks old and the top layer got sanded through.
I'd like to hear of any satisfactory results and also those that didn't work out so well before I make my attempt.
Mark  531