[Public-List] Pacific sailing (was: cheap EPIRB)

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 2 16:54:30 PST 2008

Robert,

  Sounds like you are single handing?    Be safe and know that your fellow Albergers are keeping you in our thoughts.  Keep us posted on your travels.

  Michael

Robert Botha <robertb_1966 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi George, my ships hull nmbr is 38 and her name is Flyer, built in 1964. I will be leaving Nuku Hiva about 7th march for the Gambiers where a friend of mine in CA has a friend who is the "king" of the island Kamaka in this group. Should be an educational and fun time. This 10 to 14 day passage should enable me to sort out the repairs i have made here. When 1300 miles out of CA my self steering suffered severe damage in the northeast trades which were blowing hard with huge following seas.I hand steered 600 miles before i devised an effective tiller lashing arrangement which allowed me to get some rest. I did not fancy hand steering 1700miles to the Marquesas the thought of which filled me with dread! Will spend 2 or 3 days on Kamaka before setting out for New Zealand. Best regards Bobby

George Dinwiddie wrote: Robert Botha wrote:
> Hi there Kirk; Bobby here the guy who bought your reefing jib. I am
> now in Nuku Hiva French Polynesia after 48 days at sea in the old
> Alberg. I had 12 days of calms near the equator which really slowed
> things down and 2 days lost hiding from gales in the north pacific.
> That old sail was a Godsend when the going got tough. Was a joy to
> see land after that time alone and I yelled "Land Ahoy" at the top of
> my lungs when the island of Ua Huka raised its back out of the sea
> before me. It was right on sunrise too. From here it will be a 12 to
> 15 day passage to the Gambiers then 40 or more days to New Zealand
> and my home port of Lyttelton. This will be the toughest leg for
> sure. I got good on the job training on the way down here so all
> should be well. The little ship is a fine seagoing vessel and one can
> be sure that they are tougher than you are! Kind regards, Robert
> Botha.

Robert, you don't know wonderful this sounds to those of us not sailing
at this time of year. If you've got time, I'd love to hear more tales
from Polynesia.

What's the name and hull number of your Alberg?

- George

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash