[Public-List] A4 woes

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue May 6 17:50:28 PDT 2008

Hi gang -

Well SURPRISE is in the water; new cutlas bearing all fine, mast up and rig
sorted out.

The engine, which has been a good girl for nine years would not even cough.
It spins fine but there is no hint of firing.

I did the carb cleaning thing with solvents; replaced the fuel filter;
confirmed that fuel is getting into the carb.

Then turned my attention to the ignition system... The points were replaced
about six or seven years ago I guess I left them too long.  The points
themselves look fine but there are signs of pitting etc on the distributor
cap contacts and on the rotor.  I guess I should see about replacing the
rotor, cap and points.

All of which brings to mind the issue of electronic ignition... What do you
folks think of that?  Maybe I should switch over.  Is it much of a job?

I am a little crestfallen - this seems to  be the year for engine related
trauma.

Gord #426 Surprise