[Public-List] A4 woes

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue May 6 21:31:24 PDT 2008

Gordon Laco wrote:
> The points
> themselves look fine but there are signs of pitting etc on the distributor
> cap contacts and on the rotor.  I guess I should see about replacing the
> rotor, cap and points.
>
> All of which brings to mind the issue of electronic ignition... What do you
> folks think of that?  Maybe I should switch over.  Is it much of a job?

Gord, I think that Atomic 4s have done well with conventional ignition
for a long time.  I've known people to solve nagging issues with
electronic ignition, but I think it's more that they replaced worn
components than the electronic ignition, itself.  I'm sticking with the
conventional.

The parts are pretty standard, though harder to find in today's world
where "fixing your car" means adding a stripe to it rather than tuning
it up.  I've collected some part numbers over the years.  Check
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Atomic4/A4parts.html
to find them.  These are less useful today, as auto parts stores have no
cross-reference charts and don't even stock parts for older models.
Maybe it's not as bad in Canada.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.